Saturday, September 4, 2010

Reactions to Change

Reflecting upon this last week's events, I realize that many of the messages of the stories and poems we talked about in class apply to my life this week. In "Bartleby, the Scrivener" by Herman Melville, the piece of literature explores the possibilities of an unknown world, one that many wish to be true. I am referring to Bartleby's situation in which he does absolutely nothing, neglecting his work, only resulting in sympathy and wonder from his boss. I did not feel like doing any work this week for multiple reasons; however, I knew that if I did not complete my required tasks, I wouldn't just get looked at with wonder; it would affect my grades and overall education. I cannot be carefree like Bartleby; I cannot just ignore my duties.

In addition, I realize that my life at this point in time reflects the poem "Lot's Wife" by Anna Akhmatova. I have had many changes this week that were as sudden as Lot and his wife getting a notice from an angel saying that they have to leave their home. I feel the pain of Lot's Wife, wanting to look back at what she is leaving behind, what she is losing and has lost already. And just like the wife, I cannot help but do so. Thankfully, I do not turn into a pillar of salt when I look into the past. However, looking back does root me in my place of pain just like looking back at Sodom makes the wife's "body flak[e] into transparent salt, her swift legs rooted to the ground." I must learn not to ponder on the past, but look forward to the future so my mind and legs may be swift again and leave this place of pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment